Friday, June 5, 2020

Evening Session - 6/5/2020 and the Anointing of #18

Marlon and I headed to the beach before 5pm.  The tide was pretty high at 2.3'.  The swell was waist to chest high.  The wind was up, and coming more easterly so the surface was getting chopped up a little.  I brought out the Go Foil 29.5" mast with the 3" mast track adaptor (why not?  The tide was super high).  I used the repainted GL140 (I'm going to sand the whole thing to 1000 grit - I think I could actually feel the drag from the unsanded yet relatively smooth surface) and the Ono Foil W228 tail wing.


I'll start the anointment of #18 discussion by saying the value of wax is only known when you don't have any on.  I wanted to examine the finish on this board so I didn't wax it yet.  Everything was super hard - from taking off, duck diving and getting positioned - this was operation slip n slide.  I did paddle in after the first two waves - I wasn't getting the lift I thought I could get out of the GL140, and I pushed the mast forward 0.5".  That reset made riding a bit easier - I got a few long rides.  With the W228, I believe the turns were smoother than the P18W.  And it's obvious but I'll say it anyways - riding high with the taller mast made riding less intimidating by being less worried about breaching.  I liked the front foot pad, but it did rub my stomach a little raw - looks like I'll be wearing a rash guard for a bit until the pad breaks in and softens up.

Marlon was on the outside and catching everything.  Nice fun day!

No comments: