Thursday, June 11, 2020

Evening Session - 6/10/2020

Went solo yesterday afternoon.  The trades were up, there was texture on the water, but not enough to make it a bad session.  Midway through the session the wind actually died down - but it came back up for the rest of the time I was out.  It was strong enough to be noticeable while going right (straight in to the wind).  The tide was going up to a high of 1.9' - while I was out it was probably 1.7'.  And the swell was mostly waist high with the occasional chest high sets.


I brought out the wide 4'10", the GL180, P18W all on the shorter mast.  The shorter mast made riding in chop much easier, but the rides were not as thrilling.  I was even paddling for the larger waves without fear of breaching or blowing up with the GL180.  Pumping was also a little easier, but obviously there was less clearance.  It is amazing the difference 5" can make between the two masts.


I had some really long rides and the waves were walling up better than they had over the past several sessions (probably the lower high tide).  On the lined up walls, I tried to go as fast as I could - the P18W is the fastest rear wing I've used to date.  As a trade off, turns were a little harder to initiate, but if I setup the GL140 I think I'll use the P17.5 rear - that will make that setup optimized I believe.  I was able to pump back out to the line a few times.  For most of the session there were only one or two other people out.  Super fun session!

Lastly - I went ahead and stopped by WPB just to see what the conditions were like.  It was about as impacted by the wind as PTs, but the breaking wave height was a little smaller.  Not that we didn't already suspect that the waves get smaller the further east you go, this really is just a data point in that direction.

No comments: