Saturday, June 13, 2020

Windy Saturday, Part 1

The trades were up and strong today, so we brought the kids to Pearl Harbor to get some windsports in.  First we dropped Noe and La off at Rainbow Bay Marina where Noe could go sailing.  Then I took Marlon to Hickam Harbor to learn how windsurf.


We brought the old Kailua sailboard and the iRig inflatable sail.  You may recall seeing this inflated on a post a while back - well it has taken this long but I finally got one of the kids on it.  I originally started teaching the kids on my smallest sail - an old Naish Hokua 3.75 m2 wave sail.  That sail on a mast and boom was a little too heavy for Noe and barely manageable for Marlon.  I got the iRig, but we've all been doing other things.  With the wind up, the surf would have been a little rough - Marlon was game while Noe opted for the Laser.  I took the rig out first just to make sure it all worked (this was the first time out).  I through on two foot straps and placed a SUP paddle through them just so if something did go wrong later, Marlon could paddle back.



He took off after a short lesson and was buzzing around powered up nicely.  He was doing so well that I setup my wind foiling rig (7'4" Starboard Hypernut, 29.5"+3" Go Foil mast, Maliko 200 and Maliko tail, Naish Lift 4.7 m2 sail).  I got up a bunch but the wind was on and off.  There was a wing foiler out (Duotone V1 wing and Kalama Performance foil board) - made me wonder if it would be easier to just wing foil....



Marlon and I both finished up around the same time - and we went off to pick up La and Noe (Part 2)





No comments: