Saturday, June 6, 2020

Evening Session - 6/6/2020

Marlon and I hit Pine Trees again.  The really high tide (+2.3') was washing out the reduced swell.  Every now and then a head high set would come in from the new swell that is supposed to show up later this weekend.  But it was the wind that was defining the day - it was up again and it was doing a good job of chopping up the surface and hold me back when I went right.


Marlon was picking up waves, but the wind was shortening his rides.  He stayed out half the session and paddled in to hang out at the beach.



With the same setup as yesterday - skinny 4'10", GL140, Ono Foil W228, 29.5" Mast w/track adaptor - with the GL140 sanded down and the front top deck of the board waxed up, things were more predictable today for me..  I got a few calibration rides in then started going for the bigger waves.  The drag wasn't there today, so the unsanded front wing was the culprit yesterday.  I tried focusing on the Ono Foil W228 rear wing today - I felt like I wasn't getting as much lift as I was with the other two Go Foil rear wings.  It is certainly smaller - 3 inches smaller so there is a linear loss.  But when you start to consider the the slight thickness increase across the entire width, there should be additional lift there somewhere.  It is definitely a smoother and faster responding wing.  I'm going to put the GL180 and the P18W on tomorrow (supposed to be the same height) - or I may take the wide 4'10" out.   To me it seems as if the wide 4'10" has more secondary buoyancy and with its extra weight it paddles into waves like today's much easier.  It also seems to dampen the effects of the surface chop more than the skinny 4'10".  The skinny version is better for calmer days where you don't have to fight surface texture.  Lastly the 29.5" mast does put you 5" higher than the 24.5" - that doesn't sound like much but it is a bit un-nerving at first.  After the calibration rides, I kept trying to get the foil closer and closer to the surface.  But the wave size after the takeoff almost mandated pumping - again tomorrow with the GL180 I can ride more and pump less.  More variables... more fun!!!

No comments: