Monday, June 1, 2020

Evening Session - 6/1/2020

Marlon and I went out this afternoon - TO WHITE PLAINS BEACH.  MWR opened it back up.  The swell was up (I should have brought the GL140) - just overhead on the sets.  The wind was the same as it has been - but at this break, there are less trees along the path of the wind to break up the flow - so the water gets a little choppy.  The tide was hovering around a small high - about 0.6' - I didn't touch bottom so that was good.



So the waves were a little too big for the GL180.  I caught a few good ones out the gate, but the whole middle part of the session I would catch a wave, it would pitch out, I would make the drop, and after a short run I would lose lift and the nose would drop out.  I didn't feel like I was over foiling despite the dynamic takeoffs, nor did I feel like I was foiling through turbulence - but regardless I lost it on 5 straight waves.  Needless to say I was pretty frustrated as just yesterday this gear combo was working perfectly.


I saw Marlon on the middle peak and out further towards Fenceline.  He was picking up some good drops and got a few really long rides to the inside.



So it was good to get back to the amenities of WPB - but honestly I found myself missing the waves and conditions at Pine Trees.  I may skip tomorrow as I'm doing some maintenance on the GL140 - but next time we go, I think it'll be Pine Trees.

No comments: