Sunday, June 7, 2020

Evening Session - 6/7/2020

Marlon did a double run today - he hit the beach earlier to meet a friend.  I stayed back to help get some projects completed (La fixed my board socks, and I built a new plant trellis for La).  He went back with me for an evening session.  The tide was full high at 2.2'.  The swell was waist high with occasional chest to head high sets.  And the wind was normal trades - with the surface choppy again.



I am still on the experimenting track.  I brought the wide 4'10" out and I set it up with the tall mast, the GL180 and the P17.5 rear wing. 


I set the mast to the same setting I had marked for the 24.5"+3" mast.  The big experiment was whether I would have to adjust for the different mast height.  The foil was predictable and for the most part the same as if I were riding the shorter mast.


I had some long rides again - to be expected with the GL180.  I also had a few blow ups from trying to catch the bigger set waves - I did catch a few that I didn't blow up, but those were green.  I did hit bottom once - while recovering at the end of a long ride.  Got some minor scratches (I just put a coat of spray paint over it to smooth it all out - hydrodynamics).  So the big data point from today was the mast height does not impact the mast location (for a given manufacturer).  Mast height should impact other things - like the amount of leverage you can bring to bear on a turn, but for the center of lift and the center of gravity math it doesn't contribute.  Now that I've worked through a bunch of these permutations with the Go Foil setups, I am get the itch to breakout the Armstrong foils again...

No comments: