Thursday, June 25, 2020

Evening Session - 6/25/2020

I pulled a solo run this evening.  Earlier I adjusted the mast back in the tracks by a quarter inch - yesterday I felt like there was too much autopilot - I figured taking it back a notch would give me back more control.  I hit PTs - and as I was walking to the break, a girl with a longboard came up to me and said "there was a tiger out there".  I asked how big and she said "It was big - but that was about an hour ago so maybe its moved on."  I kept going and when I got to the berm, I looked and there was only one other person out - it was the SUP foiler that uses the orange Kalama Performance SUP.  I looked and didn't see any dark shapes so I paddled out.


Wind was down, tide was high at 1.8' and the swell was small - maybe waist high.  I had a couple of calibration waves and then it all clicked.  I was catching and riding bumps all the way in to shore.  Using the CF1600 again after riding the Go Foil GL wings for so long felt like learning to foil all over again.  The CF1600 has a ton of lift and on almost every wave I was riding with the majority of the mast up and out of the water.  It is not nearly as fast as the GL wings, but it is way smoother.  After about 7 waves or so, I did not see the SUP foiler - he had gone in.  I can live with 50-50 odds but being the only splashing entity out there, I figured I was better off going in.  The mast adjustment was spot on - a fraction less lift and the board needed just a hint of back foot popping to get it rise up - just the way I like it.


So pretty much the same conditions as yesterday, but none of the crowd.  I'm spoiled by this place - even if I get run out every now and then by the landlord. 

No comments: