Sunday, June 7, 2020

Tweaking Board Socks and Comparing the 4'10"s

La has been feeling better lately, so I asked her if she could help me trim up some board socks.  The nose cones didn't really fit well and they look silly - no one is making foil board socks yet.  She knocked out these two and also shortened the green sock that the 4'6" foil board is stored in.


Because I keep the foils mounted to the boards, I never really have the chance to set them close to each other.  Here you can see the subtle differences in template.  The difference in width goes a long way towards stability in choppy conditions. 




If the wind is down, the skinny 4'10" will be the call.  I'll also bring this out if the waves are bigger.  It does have more volume that the wider 4'10" (3/4" thicker) so it paddles faster - should help (again if it is glassy).  I was surprised by the difference in weight - there really wasn't much.  That is surprising as the skinny one is EPS and the wider one has d-cell reinforcements. 

No comments: