Monday, June 29, 2020

Evening Session - 6/28/2020

Yesterday I spent some time reconfiguring gear.  I've been noticing the skinny 4'10" is super buoyant and coupled with the Armstrong foil, this setup just wants to float away on its own.  The wide 4'10" is relatively heavy and the Go Foils are not the lightest - not that weight has ever bothered me, but I figured if I switched the skinny and wide boards with which foils I have historically been using with them, I can get closer performance as the weights get closer to each other.  Here you can see the flip flop.


I went to PTs in the late afternoon.  Originally I had the wide 4'10" setup with the Armstrong CF1200 - thinking the swell would be hitting.  I got to the parking area and I could hear the surf breaking.  The wind was up and onshore and the tide was rising - probably around 1.0' while I was out.  The big surprise was the surf was not that big.  I paddled out anyways, but the first couple of waves I caught, I could not get the CF1200 to lift.  I did get a ride - I could feel how maneuverable the foil could be, but I had to pump a lot to keep it moving.  I even felt my left hip pull a bit (ouch).  I paddled in and swapped out the front wing to the HS1550.  In theory, I should have pushed the mast forward to get more lift out of the wing, but with limited time, I knew the HS1550 would lift where the mast was bolted down.  I was able to ride like normal after the wing change.  The flatter HS1550 is faster than the CF1600 and I could pump it back out to the break pretty easily.  With the setup I had on at this point, I felt like I still dolphin-ed periodically - this tells me that I need to push the foil up a notch so I can just glide with minimal pumping.


I'm wondering if I had the CF1600 on, would everything have just clicked from the get go (and if I wouldn't have pulled my left hamstring).

No comments: