Sunday, September 13, 2020

Double Duty - 9/12/2020

I got two sessions in yesterday.  The first was a solo run a little after dawn.  GLASSY!!!! Shoulder high to head high on the sets.  I brought the wide 4'10" out with the Armstrong HS1850 - but I swapped the 232 rear stab for a 13" KD G10 rear stab.  I caught 4 waves on it and paddled back in to swap it for the 232.  I need to shim the KD tail - it wasn't producing enough force to trim the big front wing.  On the rides, it is much looser (as expected - it has a 13" span verses the 15" span on the 232).  I think I'll bolt it on when I use the HS1550 and the swell is at least head high.



Once I got the 232 back on, I got a 574' ride (according to my watch).  This setup is hard to beat - I could do everything from taking off on the head high waves, compressing off the bottom turn and launch down the line to ride for 300' +.  The takeoff is definitely harder with the big front wing - but the rest of the ride makes it totally worth it.  The same happens when I use the Go Foil GL180 - I've just been learning to takeoff with the bigger winds to be able to milk more energy from the rest of the wave.


Marlon and I went back out in the evening.  The wind had picked up a bunch - Eli was way on the outside riding bumps.  The swell was still chest high and fun.  Marlon was experimenting with his small fin - took off his side bites and pushed the center fin back in the box.  He had some fun rides.  I got a long 2 for 1, and was trying for a third but my right leg was done.

No comments: