Thursday, September 10, 2020

Winging Session 6 and the Anointment of No.19

Today's forecast called for steady tradewinds in the 10 to 20 mph range.  I finished work early today and was heading home to pickup Noe to take her to sailing - but the class got canceled due to stronger winds.  She blamed the new students lack of skills - which is true - and then started to look for something else to do.  I stuck to my plan and headed to Hickam to try out the new board.


I setup pretty quick since No.19 fits in the truck bed with the foil bolted on.  The wind seemed a little light and coming from the NE.  Every now and then it would blow from the E and pick up.  The new board obviously has less volume when compared to the Hypernut, but I distributed what volume it does have to support the actions required to get the board up and going.  I could get up on my knees to start without much issue.  On this board I could also pump onto foil - I wasn't able to do that on the Hypernut.  On the first run out, I was even able to almost complete a foiling tack.  I ended up getting several tacks, but they were all wet tacks.  I even got a few wet jibes.  I just need more practice. I did come in once to pull the foil forward in the tracks - about an inch forward as it was pretty far back.  I think I still need to pull it up a little more to optimize.

I met and talked with Harrison today.  He is the best foiler out at this break.  He was encouraging me to go ahead and venture out into the break.  I told him I want to get better on the turns and I have to get the feel of this new board first - but soon enough.  I'm glad I went ahead and brought this board out!  I'd say it has been properly anointed.  Oh - and Marlon said I am allowed to put stickers on it now.

No comments: