Sunday, September 13, 2020

Winging Session 7 - 9/13/2020

I was watching the wind reports until after lunch - the wind turned SE and jumped up above 15 kts.  I could not resist and packed up the truck.  Marlon came along (he was the photographer) to get out of the house.  I met Randy (the other Duotone rider) and Arvin (Naish) in the parking lot.  We all reflected on the fact that it is rare to get winds from the SE.  I finished setting up and headed out.


The wind was good - and the direction gave me tons of confidence since botching up meant blowing back to the launch.  I even got out to the break on two runs and started to play in the waves.  I've surfed out there plenty of times, but winging on a 32.5" mast gives you a totally different perspective.  The water was super clear and there were huge turtles every where.


I got in a few jibes and tacks without getting wet (none on foil today).  As good as everything else was, the frustrating thing about today was a bunch of stalling.  On a few of my runs, I had plenty of power in the wing, but I couldn't get the foil to lift and I would just schlogg along.  I'm not sure if the foil would hang on to air bubbles or if I was stalling the foil - I'm going to have to figure this problem out.


I called it a day after a bunch of sailboats came out and started racing.  Really good winging today!!!

No comments: