Sunday, February 14, 2021

Chop Shop Uni 300

I've been hitting the bottom lately with this Uni 300 rear stabilizer.  Instead of just filling/sanding it, I decided to go ahead and cut the tips down.  At full size, this rear stabilizer has a lot of stability and lift.  Cutting down the tips while keeping the chord width should loosen up the ride without losing the lift (which helps with not having to pump all the time).  Here's the paper template and the outline transferred to the rear stabilizer.


I used a dremel to cut the bulk off.  Then I used the bench sander to get it rough shaped.  Then I used the sander to fair in the cuts so the foil blends in, and to get it close to the finished shape and thickness.


I cut into the core layer - exposing a layer of kevlar.  I'll mix up some epoxy and fill the cuts and scratches.  Then I'll have to sand again to thin everything out.


Not too bad.  I plan on using this rear stabilizer for surfing and ripping turns!

No comments: