Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Wing Foiling Session - 2/23/2021

Again my better judgement, I went wing foiling this afternoon after work.  The wind had been blowing all day, but as usual, it tapered off once I got there.  Truthfully, it was good light wind training with the new board - to see what the small changes in shape and rocker do differently that the wider board.


I was out from 4 to 5:30ish - you can see from the graph that it was a declining wind strength session.  I had the same setup as the last two sessions so it did make for a nice comparison (Ensis 6.0, HS1850, 300 rear stab, 85cm mast, NWFB).  I did not bolt on the chop shop 300 - maybe next time.

I think the fuller nose rocker makes this board takeoff on flatwater slower than the first board (whose steeper rocker would lend itself to coming up faster as the board gains speed).  This is an incremental difference, not night and day.  There is definitely less swing weight, and this new board likes to pull into turns more lively than the wider board.  I'm already pulling off my outbound tacks and coming out on foil (almost).  The NWFB also "bounces" off touchdowns better (this is where the nose rocker and volume helps).


The wind slacking did lead to a bunch of schlogging - but you can see in the plot above where the holes were located and where I was having fun.  In the track below you can see that I was able to hold my line for the most part (excellent schlogging skills).


Even with the lulls - this was still a fun session and I got to explore the lower end of the board's range.  The rest of the week is supposed to be howling winds!!!  No more schlogging  for the next several days!!!

No comments: