Sunday, February 7, 2021

Work on the NWFB - Getting Close

Got some major work done on the NWFB today.  This first picture is a mock up of the deck pads and footstrap setup to facilitate switching stances.  The final product will be something close to this.


After trying to define the mock up, I went ahead and started the rough sanding.  Three hours later, I got everything taken down.  I preened the board with the carbide grit bit on the dremel and opened up the vent plugs.  After that, I mixed up some epoxy and aerosil to fill up any remaining voids.  Unfortunately the resin had been sitting in the sun so it was warm (which makes it set up faster).  I ended up having to mix 4 batches of 1.4 ounces in order to get the bottom deck and rail (most of the rails) covered in this last fill coat.


You can see the dimension label in the middle of the bottom of this next picture.  The board came out to 5' 0.5" x 25" x 5" - should be plenty of volume in this board (I'm guessing somewhere around 95L - very similar to the wing foil board I am currently using).


Tomorrow will be some light sanding and the top deck fill coat.  That means Tuesday will be sanding the whole board, and either wetsanding to 1500, or using satin clear coat and spraying the finish (I'll probably go this route).

Good thing there isn't any substantial wind in the forecast - this has allowed me to focus on taking my time and finishing this board off on a great note (not rushed to get out on the water).

No comments: