Wednesday, February 24, 2021

Wing Foiling Session - 2/24/2021

I hit Hickam after work.  The wind had been blowing all day - and it was holding through the time period where I could be out (3:30 to 5:45) unlike normal where it backs off.  I wanted to try out another footstrap setup today - pretty much where I put my feet when I ride strapless.


I also tried out the chopped Uni 300 rear stabilizer.


You can definitely see the reduction in the vertical surface area. 


With this placement, my rear foot is just in front of the mast.



Plenty of wind today, and there was even surf on the outside - but today I was focusing on the footstraps and transitions (as there are ever so slight differences in how the boards turn).  The 6.0 was a bit big for the gusts, but also a hair small when the lulls persisted - glad I rigged this one today instead of the 5.2 (maybe the rest of the week I'll be using the smaller wing).


This chart speaks volumes - lots of wind for sure; plenty of runs - but the real message is the HS1850 is probably getting speed limited (and capping out at around 15mph).  With the stronger wind filling in the latter half of this week, I'll bolt on the HS1250 to see if I can get a higher max speed.


I was getting complete tacks on the outbound runs.  I got my outbound jibes completed also.  I only got one inbound tack - for some reason I wasn't able to connect the dots and I'd get stuck mid tack.  More practice... but practice that seems like endless fun!!!

No comments: