Thursday, February 25, 2021

Wing Foiling Session - 2/25/2021

Hit Hickam again after work (its too easy - really wouldn't do anything else anyways).  The wind was crazy nuclear - white caps everywhere... smoke on the water crazy windy.  Jeff and Rob came over from the other side of the island.  And Jeff let me try out his 4.5 (which came in real handy since it was pretty crazy out there).  Jeff tried Rob's PPC wings - they look like good wings (but the Ensis look like they have more grunt).


I was out between 4:15 and 6-ish - check out the nuclear winds...


I started out with the Ensis 4.5 and the HS1850.  With the big front wing, I was able to get up on foil really quick - and the 4.5 was nicely powered with the blasting winds.  I made a beeline to get to Firsts - but it was super choppy, super gusty and I was picking up too much energy with the 1850.  I rode a shoulder and headed back in.  I also didn't want to put a hole in the borrowed wing.  I ended up working the inside - which was way more manageable.  


I got a top speed of 13.1mph on this outing - partially because it was blowing so hard, I was fighting to keep control.  There were some lulls, and that was probably when I was going faster (retaining control).


I headed in and figured I should try the HS1250.


You can see the break in the middle of this session - I went in and made a second adjustment to the mast (bumped it a hair further up from the first push up from the 1850 position).  The first runs I was not getting up quick.  It wasn't until I got to the middle of the bay where the wind line was established where I would pop up.  On the outside I was popping tacks like they were nothing - and I would make inbound tacks a lot easier than with the 1850.  I went ahead, headed in and nudged the foil forward - and what a difference that made.  Up nearly as quickly as the 1850 and it felt perfectly balanced.  I hit 17.1 mph on the second runs.  Going to have to use the 1250 more now.


Towards the end of the second session, the wind picked up again and there was a bunch of swirling.  By then my arms were done - super fun and challenging today!!!  Ken, Gary and Sonny were also out.  Big wind days are rare and to be cherished!

No comments: