Saturday, February 20, 2021

Wing Foiling Session - And the Anointment of #20

Hit Kailua this morning - it has been a while and this was the first time winging.  Actually pulled up while it was still dark.  The wind was blowing in at 13 - 17mph, but every now and then gusts would blow up just past 25mph.  I figured its better to be overpowered so I pumped up the Ensis 6.0m.  This was also the anointment of #20!  I setup the new board with the HS1850 and the mast jammed all the way to the rear as the starting point.


The launch here is very foil friendly - sand, sand and more sand.


I went out, then came in to adjust the mast, and repeat that four times.  It was hard to tell if the adjustments were making a difference because there was a lot of motion going on in the layer of water the foil was interacting with - and a lot of up and down with the wind swell coming through.  I was out for a while and got 14.59nm in.  You can see I spent a bunch of time at Jump City.  There were rollers running through and they were a ton of fun to catch.  I would depower the wing and just pick up a ton of speed from the wave.  I think if I had the HS1250, I might have broken 20mph.


Hit 17.1mph on the HS1850 - not too bad.


Kailua is a pay chart on iwindsurf.com - so the forecast below shows Kailua, but the actual chart is from Kaneohe.



This board was doing everything I shaped it to do - 


And here's where the mast ended up.  Even here it seemed that I was still putting more back foot pressure than I would have liked.  I think I'll take it to Hickam next to really get it dialed in on the flat water.



I might also move the front foot straps forward a notch - the additional weight forward will be a tell tale whether the mast needs to come up or not.


Number 20!!!!

No comments: