Tuesday, May 25, 2021

Evening Session - 5/25/2021

The swell that started hitting yesterday was in full swing - Marlon and I went after I got home from work.  I didn't even see Marlon out the entire time.  I paddled out to Two Cots - catch two on the inside to get used to the extra height on the takeoffs, then paddled to the outside to catch some of the bigger waves.


On the big ones, the first few were more tests on the claim that the NL foils can punch through the whitewater.  I found that for the most part, the claim was true - and I would make it out of the wash and onto clean face more times than not.  A few broken waves had too much whitewater and I ate it - but those were the exceptions. Towards the end of the session, I started paddling for green, unbroken waves.  Honestly, I believe this is where the Go Foils really shine.  I think on the overhead faces, I would have had less drag (I could feel it on the really long runs on the lined up walls) if I used the GL140.  According to my watch, I hit 21.3 mph.   


This distance chart is where I disagree with the watch.  I know I caught one wave way outside and rode it all the way in - that should have been close to 1000' - I got a 900' ride the other day and this felt much longer.


Marlon had the Go Pro - and he had some good rides from the look of it.


Super fun session!  My verdict on the NL160... its a keeper and super fun.  I now need to thin out one of the G10 rear stabilizers I made - I want to make this foil go even faster (but I think it is the overall surface area and profile limiting the speed - but 21.3 mph is pretty darn good; if this swell sticks around, I'll bolt on the GL140 to compare the top speed).

No comments: