Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Wing Foiling Session - 5/12/2021

I went to Hickam today after work to get some more winging in.  WWFB with the 85cm mast, A+ 60cm fuselage, 232 rear stabilizer and HS1850.  Pumped up the Ensis 5.2 as there was some wind blowing around and it was forecasted to come up as the afternoon went on.


I was out from 3:30 to about 5:30 - on the chart below you can see the lulls in the wind.



And in the speed graph below you can see where the lulls settled in - especially the wide black area towards the end.


The wind was really good early in the session - and I made a beeline out to Firsts.  There were intermittent waves breaking and I was able to ride a few - I also jibes into two of them and went straight into a good drop.  The HS1850 works in this scenario, but it is a tad bit slow and also needs to be managed during the quick turns on the wave.  It is great for low end grunt - gets up super fast and allows you to get out of the way if the wind is on the light side of things.  Prayot and Roland made it out - and Roland was doing really well on his strong side (outbound tacks - regular foot heelside).


I was also practicing how to get on the board using my butt first instead of my belly - hoping to start using a harness soon to help alleviate the tendonitis I'm getting on my forearms.  I've said this before - turning with the HS1850 is pretty easy - was nailing tacks and jibes both ways.  While outside, I was staying on foil for multiple back and forth runs - super fun!!!  The rest of the week the wind is only supposed to get stronger!!!!

No comments: