Saturday, May 15, 2021

Wing Foiling Session - 5/15/2021

The wind was picking up through the day - so after I took another ding repair/board modification job (Tim's Pyzel again) - I headed over to Hickam.  I had a lot going on and pretty much got skunked.

When I first went out, I was trying out the Chameleon harness and Chinook harness line on the Ensis 5.2.  I had high expectations of the wind and bolted on the HA1125/232.  But I forgot to move the mast forward from the HS1850 position and had figured I might as well ride out once and back just to get the feeling on a poorly set mast/foil.  I did try out the harness and I wasn't feeling it.  And the wind looked really funny - not coming from the typical direction but more from the north.

That was just the beginning.  I did make it back in from the first run - and took off the harness and harness line, then moved the mast all the way forward.

I spent the next hour trying to get back to the launch.  The wind pretty much DIED and I was having to work hard to keep my balance on the board and then try and catch every little puff of wind.  I don't want to paint the picture I wasn't riding - but that was the exception and not the norm today.  Here's proff I was up on foil.


             And I even got several transitions in - here I am mid-tack - I love turning while winging!!!


On the left hand tracks, you can see how "north" the wind was.


I was out from 2:30 to just after 4.  You can see the huge lulls in the wind chart below.


I only got up to 15.1 kts - it sure felt like I was going faster (once I was up on foil).  Looking at the graph below, today was pretty much the opposite of yesterday - only a little bit of riding and a whole lot of schlogging.


Despite the huge levels of frustration, I recognize today was really good training for light wind situations.  If I had the Ensis 6.0 and the HS1850/chopped 300, I would have been better equipped.


I was tricked by the weather forecasters!!!

No comments: