Sunday, May 2, 2021

Wing Foiling Session - 5/2/2021

 I was working on a bunch of projects today, including teaching Noe how to sand the wood pieces for her new art desk.  After a while though, the wind started to pick up.  I kept my eye on it since yesterday the wind picked up radically after 11am.  Well - the weather did not disappoint!  Marlon dropped me off (he went to get groceries) and I was on the water at 12:30.  Wind was good enough for the Ensis 6.0 - and I rigged just like yesterday.  Marlon took this picture before driving off to the Commissary - toe side inbound.


I made two runs to go down wind to line up with the channel, then spent an hour at Firsts riding nothing waves.  I would have went to Seconds - but I had the HA1125 on and didn't want any reef kisses.


I got 12.88 nm in and my fastest speed was 16.1 kt (18.5 mph).


I was out pretty much at the peak of the wind - from 12:30 to 3pm.  If I didn't have the 1125 bolted on I would have been overpowered on the 6.0.  But with the higher speed requirement for the 1125, the 6.0 was perfect for getting up on foil fast.


I did focus on trying to open up my transitions so I can complete them.  Here is an outbound jibe sequence -







I didn't have the camera on while it happened, but after the run in the picture, I was headed back out and I saw a large dark object moving through the water towards me... it was a decent sizes manta ray.  I think it was more scared of me than I was of it - but after that I made sure to stay up on foil as much as I could.



Winging is SO MUCH FUN!!!!





No comments: