Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Evening Sessions - 8/15 and 8/16

Another late post.  I went foiling on a rising swell on Sunday (Marlon was out at an orientation so I went solo).  I brought out the NL160 to get it dialed in.  I had it up a bit from the PNL185 setting.  Surf was chest high and rising.  I would catch a wave, and make an adjustment, then repeat.  Despite the tide being on the higher side, I hit bottom twice - the second of which was pretty good.  This wing is definitely faster than the PNL185, and swoopier in the turns - but the PNL185 is way easier to pump.


This is where I ended the session - almost right on top of the PNL185 setting (they are very close in surface area...).  I'll need to test this one some more before I mark the board.


And this is from today - I wet sanded the two spots that had reef rash (on the leading edge of both sides), taped the spots I didn't want filled, then sprayed filler/primer.  I'll let this dry overnight then sand it back to a pre-rash state.  Then I'll re-tape the wing and get a coat of blue paint on the front - then sand, the clear coat, then wax.  I hate hitting bottom.


Yesterday's surf was even bigger than Sunday (solid overhead).  I bolted on the HS1050 and pushed it all the way forward.  Marlon was out and he brought his Firewire.

I caught one, felt the board was riding nose down, then spent a bit of time just paddling for position - there was a really strong current that was dragging everyone towards Fenceline.  I eventually caught another wave and was able to get over towards the two cabins on a single wave.  After that I picked up another several waves and it was more like the usual big wave foiling - waves with more slope and less pitch.  This is a great foil, but I was wondering what the difference would be compared to the CF1200 (I'll try that next).

I skipped today to get the track block epoxied in, La and Noe trained on towing the laser, and getting the NL160 sanded.  Tomorrow night I have a social to attend (so I might punch early to get a session in while the tide is high). 

No comments: