Monday, August 2, 2021

First Wing Foiling Session - 8/1/2021

I got in two sessions yesterday - the highest winds from the resident NE High Pressure cell were supposed to be coming in yesterday morning - the forecast was spot on - I'd say it was steady 20 to 25 with gusts touching 35 to 40 - EPIC NUCLEAR!!!


It's rare that the winds get this strong - but I got to pump this wing up - the Reedin Super Wing 3.6m


It was awesome to wing foil in these winds and there were good waves - they just weren't exactly lined up (I've found I prefer a SW swell with an ENE wind - makes jibing into a wave an incredible experience!) 




I took the GoPro off shortly after my second run - it was a lot to concentrate on the wind and the waves (everything was jumbled up with the really strong winds) to worry about finding a camera if it got loose.


Even though things didn't line up perfectly, riding waves goofy always makes things interesting (I think I'm actually getting really good at this).


I got a max speed of 17.9 kt - the HS1250 was perfect for the conditions (probably could have used the HS1050).  Kalani finally stepped down to the Ensis 5.2 - and he didn't skip a beat.  Roland used the Wasp 4.0 and he hated it.  It was too soft and it kept backwinding on him.

The Reedin is a backhanded wing - compared to the Ensis which is a front handed wing (control wise).  The camber is shallower on the Reedin which makes it faster and it also seemed way more powerful for its size - more on that in the next post.


Epic session!!!!

No comments: