Thursday, August 19, 2021

Evening Session - 8/19/2021

There was some wind today - but I decided to go prone foil instead.  First since I didn't want to drive back to Hickam (with the bigger surf, WPB would be harder to launch from), and second I was waking up from a long nap and I know the wind tends to die back later in the day.  I did want to mix it up a bit again - the surf did lower a notch, and I switched out the HS1050 to the CF1200.


I caught my first wave today and did a nose dive.  I set the mast more forward and that corrected the issue for the rest of the session.  I caught several more larger waves, but I also wiped out a bunch more than normal.  The waves were close together and taking off on a narrower board means landing on a much smaller sweet spot.  And getting my footing while trying to get in front of a shifting foam ball while just off the sweet spot leads straight to a wipe.  Still fun out there, but not the smoothest session.  On my third wave, I pumped back out (again with the CF1200).  When riding a standing wave that has an open end (todays were mostly open to the left), this foil is so awesome - carves top to bottom and going super fast - pure bliss!!!


The balance point was pretty much where the HS1050 was (the HS1050 is just forward of my mark, and the CF1200 is just behind it).  When you line up these two foils, they have a similar outline - the real differences are the thickness and the tips.  I think I actually like surfing with the CF1200 a lot more than the HS1050.  I'll still use both - but I think I'll try the HS1050 while winging in strong winds next.  There are too many front foils in this chest + high surf group (HS1250, HS1050, CF1200, GL140, NL160 - with the GL140 being my favorite closely followed by the CF1200).

No comments: