Monday, August 2, 2021

Wing Foiling Session - 8/2/2021

The wind was forecasted to still be on the strong side today (so I brought my stuff to work).  I was planning on doing more Reedin testing today with a larger front foil - but Roland texted that he wanted to be redeemed from yesterday's fiasco (he had to go in because of the Wasp and did a long walk of shame).  I couldn't say no to that line of reasoning.  The wind was actually strong enough for the Reedin 3.6, but I opted for the Ensis 4.5 just because I didn't want to get stuck outside if the wind started to drop.  I ended up with the HS1550, chopped 300 rear stabilizer, and the Ensis 4.5


I was out for 2 hours and ten minutes and I managed to get in 21.23 miles!  I had read on a forum that the bike app on the Garmin watch uses color to show relative speed on the activity chart - well I'll be a monkey's uncle - it does!

The waves and the wind seemed to line up better today - I had some incredible rides - leaning jibes on to rising waves, full speed rides, and lots of carving up and down the moving faces... unbelievable how good a feeling this can be!!!  I got several large waves going goofy, but those are as dynamic as riding toe-side regular foot and luffing the wing.


I think I could have used the 3.6 today, but I opted for the 4.5 to make sure I didn't get stranded outside if the wind died (I speak from experience).  I was actually very comfortably loaded on the 4.5 - so for me the optimum range for the 4.5 is 20 to 25 with gusts to 30.


Lots of blue today - I was making the vast majority of my transitions.  Add to that the really long toe-side wave rides and this is really one of my better sessions.  I got up to 18.3mph (bike measures in mph not kt).


Of note I saw a cluster of spotted eagle rays hanging out on the surface, a ballyhoo trying to evade me, and a booby bird fishing.  Oh and Roland dropped his board in the parking lot.  So now I have to repair more dings (and install a vent).

Really good session!!!

No comments: