Monday, August 2, 2021

Second Wing Foiling Session - 8/1/2021

After the epic morning session, Marlon needed stuff from the grocery store.  The wind was still up so I figured if we were going to Hickam/Pearl Harbor, I should trying winging again - mainly to test the wing/foil combo again.  Surprisingly the little wing generates lots of power for its size.  I needed the gusts which would white cap the surface to get up on foil (recall that I am using the HS1250 - might have been different using a larger front foil), but as long as I didn't have to transition, I could stay on foil.  Here's a picture mid tack.






I can see using the smaller wings more coupled with larger front foils.


I didn't stay out too long - we still had to do the grocery run.


The wind wasn't as strong and steady - and I ended up shlogging more than flying - but it was a really good test of the low end of this wing.  It also provided an opportunity to dial in the control motions.  I said it earlier, but this is a back hand controlled wing compared to the front hand control of the Ensis.  I got up to 17.6 kt this session.


Testing is important and shortens the learning curve.  In a perfect scenario the wind would have been opposite of what it was and I would have tested it in flat water first, then taken it out into roaring winds in wild surf.

No comments: