Saturday, March 5, 2022

Dawn Patrol -3/5/2022

Dawn patrolled with Marlon this morning.  When we got to the parking lot, he went to check the surf and came back with a look of disappointment - small surf with a lot of people poised to jump on it.  I was going regardless because I wanted to get the setup dialed in.

Marlon said he was going to just drone (but he did take his longboard out towards the end of my session).


I put the 3 bolt Axis adapter on the 68cm Project Cedrus mast and put on the same ART 999/400P/Crazy Short fuselage setup on the 4'8" prone foil board.  Immediately I noticed the 3-bolt adapter puts the fuselage significantly more forward than the 4 bolt adapter (that I used yesterday afternoon).  I did end up making two adjustments out on the water and by the end of the session, I felt like I had it dialed in position wise.


I caught several waves despite the small size and Saturday morning crowd.  I got 2 for 1s on most waves and at least a couple of 3 for 1s.  This foil combo definitely has glide and seems a little easier to pump than the Kujira 1095 - but I need to get more time on it before I can judge the turning ability.  I did not breach once with this setup (which could not be said for the Kujira 1095 on this mast).

Fun morning even though the surf was small.


Here's where the mast ended up sitting.  Looking at how far back the mast is, this is mostly attributed to the 3 bolt Axis adapter on the mast.  Pretty amazing the mast is this far back for a 1000+ sq cm front foil.  At first I was thinking this may be a detriment, but on further contemplation this can help when the mast track boxes are too far back on a particular board.  I'm going to have to use the 4 bolt adapter and see if placing the center of lift in the same place relative to the board (knowing the mast will go forward) will produce the same results (I love experimenting with this stuff!). 

W:11/F:24/S:9

No comments: