Sunday, March 13, 2022

Wing Foiling Session - 3/13/2022

Super fun session today!!!  Right around noon, a strong SE wind started blowing - this is pretty rare.  I had to paddle the board out past the swim buoy to set a line to ride up on foil and head away from shore.  With the white capping conditions, it was pretty easy to get up.


I pumped up the Reedin SWX 5.2.  I think I could have used the SWX 4.2 - and for sure I would have been comfortable on the 4.5 (Ensis V2) - but I'm glad I had this wing out.  


I also bolted on the Kujira 980 on the 85cm Project Cedrus mast.  I think having the small foil helped balance the strong winds and the 5.2.


I forgot my watch so I don't have a track - which would have been very interesting due to the odd wind direction.  I would pinch up on the way out, then ride the wind chop on the way in.  ALL THE WAY ACROSS THE HARBOR!!!  Super long rides getting so many turns on the run in.  The 980 is so agile - I've been riding the 1095 and 1210 more - these are all fantastic foils - but the turns on the 980 feels like hucking buckets with a shortboard on a head high wall - SO GOOD!!! I usually have to go to WPB to get similar rides - but in order to make the really long runs there, I need a west wind (which is just as rare).

I also got a bunch more duck jibes in - most of which were totally dry.  The strong winds helped - I would just hold the wing like normal, head down wind and when the pressure dropped out of the wing I swing my grip and get the wing to swing low and into the turn and done.


I was fortunate to be really close to the launch when the wind just died.  Harris was not as fortunate - he was foiling Firsts.  Brantly was able to pick him up and drop him back off at the launch (LUCKY - that paddle SUCKS).


W:14/F:26/S:10

No comments: