Thursday, March 24, 2022

Wing Foiling Session - 3/24/2022

Today was the day the forecasts said would be nuking.  While driving around for work, the morning sky was full of clouds and rain, so I was beginning to think the forecast was going to be wrong.  As the day went on, the clouds began to move like the trades were back, so I began to hope today would be a 4.2 wing day.

By the time I was at the beach, I could actually feel the wind dropping - got me thinking the wind is dropping because of me...

I rigged the same as yesterday except I went ahead and bolted on the Kujira 980.


I had to schlog a bit to get to the wind line, but I eventually got up on foil and made my way out to Firsts.  I caught two great waves - full on breakers that kept walling up - lots of fun turns and drops!!!

After the second wave, I had noticed the holes in the wind and went ahead and headed back to the inside - I didn't want to get caught outside if the wind dropped off completely.


On the inside, the wind really was up and down, but it would also shift from north and east and back again.  Pretty frustrating considering the forecast was calling for nuking conditions.



Still I can't complain - on my inside speed runs, I was able to push past the 20mph barrier.  I really love the Kujira 980 - surfs really well and flys when pushed!


Towards the end of the session, I was feeling some wonkiness - I checked the foil and the mast base and had found I lost one of the front wingscrews and the shim.  It was from the same spot where I broke the t nut the day before - I'm going to pay closer attention to this.  There are a couple more days of wind forecasted - hopefully one of those will be a session with steady wind and no bolt issues. 

W:18/F:30/S:10

No comments: