Saturday, January 21, 2023

Wing Foiling Session - 1/21/2023

 The south winds were still blowing this morning.  The forecast even changed and it called for the winds to hold up until midday.  I packed my winging gear and headed to WPB (with the winds, Marlon opted to just take pictures).

I setup the WWFB with the Kujira 1210.  The wind was hovering just above the doable point with the RS5.1 (again - same as yesterday).  I had to paddle way out to get away from the breaking waves and to get a good angle on the wind to takeoff.






Once I was up, I was able to ride line up waves for quite some distance.  I stayed out for an hour and forty minutes, and headed in when I felt the wind start to drop.  The drop was temporary - once I was packing up, the wind started back up.


No complaints from me - I had plenty of time up on foil.


Towards the back half of the session, I was way out towards Nimitz Beach and the wind was light.  I stayed on the westbound tack and it took me through several breaking waves.  There was a lot of white water and I could feel the turbulence.  Knowing that the foil setup I had bolted on has come loose before, I had the thought that I should head back and call it.  All packed up, I checked the foil and it was still on tight - that means all that unsettled motion was the turbulence in the water.  I'm glad I had the Takuma on - the ART would not have any of the turbulence.


They are running the Eddie Aikau contest tomorrow - that should clear the lineups across the island somewhat tomorrow.  I think it will be a prone foiling day tomorrow.

W:4/F:4/S:7

No comments: