Saturday, January 7, 2023

Dawn Patrol - 1/7/2023

Dawn patrolled this morning.  Air temp was 59F... burrrr.  No wind, nice full moon high tide and a surprisingly fun sized swell pushing in.  Marlon brought his longboard, and I brought the 4'8" with the short Cedrus mast and the F One 1090 Eagle (and DW210 rear stabilizer).

Surprisingly also, I didn't have much of a reset (I haven't been prone foiling in a bit - mostly surfing).  First wave was a good one and this setup was sure footed.


I had a double pretty quickly in the session (didn't get a triple) - I still need to find the sweet spot on this foil for pumping.  The pumping I did do was not tiring - I just need to move faster I think.

About mid-session, I did have a really unexpected takeoff - jacked up wave, super steep - I stuck the takeoff and was rounding over to run the wall, but I hit some turbulence from the previous wave and ate it.  Super nice to have one of those in the middle of winter!

Having spent some time putting a Donaldson trailing edge on the front foil (1090) and the stabilizer, I was listening for any vibrations/whistling.  I didn't hear any this time (unlike the last time I brought this foil out - even at prone foiling speeds I could hear a high-pitched tone).  This is a good sign - but I'm going to have to drive it at winging speeds/loads to see if the sanding worked. 


I was considering shimming the base - but it turns out I didn't need it.


Based on this positioning, I am going to move the mast tracks forward on No.29.  It seems as if I need move adjustability up front and less out the back.  I think an inch and a half forward should be sufficient.


The swell started to back off just after 8am.  I caught a few more and hit the showers around 9.

Fun first prone foiling session of the year!!!  I'm going to keep using the F One Eagle to get it dialed in.

W:0/F:1/S:6

No comments: