Friday, January 27, 2023

Wing Foiling Session - 1/27/2023

The wind was up enough today to go winging!!!  And Noe was available - it was good conditions for a training day!

I set her up with the 4'7" board (which at 22" wide would be easier for her to paddle back if needed), the Go Foil 27.5" mast, the GL210 (pushed back in the tracks), and the Ensis V2 4.5.

I used the Triton T1 for the first time (with the WWFB and the Takuma RS6.1).


This was the original spot where I installed the foil.  By the end of the session it was jammed as far forward as I could put it (and I think I needed more - this is a good excuse to build a new wing board with extended tracks....).

I suggested to Noe that she should paddle upwind before starting so she could have some ground to lose while trying to get up.

I had no idea what this foil was going to feel like.  I figured with the 6.1 I would have plenty of power.  The track below shows I had a slow start, but I did get up when I got into the wind lane.


This foil is way different than anything I've ever ridden.  I would get to speeds where I thought I should have gotten up on foil, but I'd still be on the surface.  I'd have to move way back on the board with both feet pretty much right over the foil and keep my feet really close together.

Some of the other characteristics of this foil - you need a lot of power to ride this.  There is no glide so as you are turning you need to get powered back up quickly.  But it does turn on a dime.

I would get up and get my feet situated, but I never felt like I could climb upwind (because I'd lose board speed and drop off foil).  So I ended up pushed up against the Second's reef.

Noe had held her line way upwind for quite some time.  Kalani was keeping an eye on her as I drifted unrecoverably downwind.  But eventually she drifted to where I was.  He said the she was having trouble with the wing size (too big as it was dragging her downwind) and she needed to work on where to put her feet.  At this point I told them we should paddle to the bail out point (where we go fishing on the flat).

While we were setting up the paddle in, I saw that Noe had stopped, was sitting up on her board and was staring at a big black moving shape in the water not far from her.  After a quick double check, I told her it was a big manta and that they only eat arms.

We eventually got to shore and I did the walk of shame back to the truck to go pick Noe back up.


Reviewing lessons learned, In this wind speed (15 to 20), at Noe's weight, she should be using a 3.5, which means 12 to 17 would be the 4.5, and anything above 20 will be the 2.5.

The other lesson learned is she should have her foil a little smaller and more forward (the GL210 was mounted 1" back from where I mounted the 1095 - 3/4" might have been better since Kalani saw her porpoising).


I did not hit 51.7 mph.  Combing through the data I saw 17.4.  Interesting day.  I can see why the T1 is a good kitefoiling foil.  But more and more people are winging with it.  I think if I build a board with longer tracks further forward, I'll be able to use this foil in average conditions.  I'm thinking 4'6.5"x25"x3.5" (~70 liters).....

W:5/F:6/S:8

No comments: