Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Wing Foiling Session - 1/11/2023

The wind was forecasted to be up today (unlike yesterday where it came up with complete disregard for the forecast).  The wind was supposed to shift to more of s trade wind pattern - but instead it stuck from the NNE.  The strength was good, but it was still up and down.  The tide was really low... glad I had time to go out at Hickam (instead of having to paddle way out at WPB on a really low tide).

I had to take La to an appointment, so I had two goals today - first was to see if the Donaldson trailing edge I put on the DW210 and the Eagle 1090 worked to eliminate the high pitched tones produced by the foils at winging speed, and second was to be back on the road by 3 to get home ahead of traffic.

Offshore conditions are tough to read from the beach. 


The great news is I pretty much got rid of all the speed induced vibration noise.  I would hear a slight tone, but it was negligible compared to the three tones that were being emitted last time I winged the foil.  This foil will be ridden hard this year (now that I don't need to wear earplugs).


For such a relatively small surface area, this foil does well across a wide range.  It glides really well and that makes turns a lot easier.  I got two heel to toe (post switch) tacks in today (first ones of the year), and I could also draw out my jibes during lulls and still have enough speed to get through the turn.


I was out in the water before 2 and out 40 minutes later (I made it home with plenty of time to spare).


I felt that I was going faster than 20mph - but according to my watch that was not the case.


Glad to have been able to get out on the wing again (and that the Eagle is now dialed in).

W:2/F:2/S:6

No comments: