Saturday, February 25, 2023

Wing Foiling Session - 2/25/2023 - 2nd

After Kailua, I stopped off at Hawaiian Watersports and picked up some kite bladder valve traps so I can fix my kitesurfing kites - after being able to water start No.26 with a wing, I now have the inclination to kitefoil using that board.  With that long standing errand out of the way, I made a beeline to Hickam to get in a second session - on No.26.


I took the Stringy fuselage and placed it on the 85cm mast - I figured I'd give this setup a try and see if it was any harder to get up on foil.  I replaced the 980 I had on earlier with the 1210 - I didn't want to handicap myself too much.  I figured with the larger front foil, I could afford to go smaller on the wing - I pumped up the SW2 4.2 again. 


From my tracks, it looked like the wind over here was from the NE.  On the water I did notice I had to make runs that had me going side to side more than top to bottom (like on an East wind).

I forced myself to water start a lot today.  The blue in the tracks below are the waits I had to go through waiting for the gusts (or sucking at water starting - this is 100% an activity that the more you do it, the easier it gets...).  Strong side is ok - goofy is a little tougher.  I drew blood on my left shin at Kailua today - and the middle screw holding the front footstraps down on No.26 didn't help.  I'll pad those screws before taking No.25 or 26 out again.

I got in several heel to toe tacks, some of which were completely dry.  A few I even whipped into (grabbing the bottom handle earlier allows you to power through the tack and not just glide).  I got in a partial toe to heel tack - I leaned in too hard and lost it.


I had to pull the Kalaeloa data because the airport sensors are still out.


Using the 85cm mast was not any harder than the 75cm mast.


I'm going to need to fix the small ding on No.25 and cover the screw heads on both No. 25 and 26 - so tomorrow I'll setup the WWFB and hit Firsts.

W:20/F:12/S:12

No comments: