Wednesday, February 8, 2023

Wing Foiling Session - 2/8/2023

Today was the first day of a multiple day wind event - and the first of a forecasted three straight days of ultra nuking strength!!!

Up to bat - the HPS700 and the 380 High Speed rear stabilizer on the Ultra Short fuselage.  I was debating on whether to use the SW2 4.2 or the SW1 3.6 - particularly because I have not used this front foil yet and I did not know what the lift would be like.

I pumped up the 3.6 anticipating the wind out at Firsts would be "knock your socks off" nuking.  I was not wrong - 


With as much wind as there was, getting up on foil was not an issue.  I'm going to sand the rear stabilizer - it was singing like a canary, but in general everything was balanced, controllable and fun.


I tried a few tacks - but mainly stuck with jibes because the HPS doesn't have the carry/glide of the ARTs.  I actually needed more wind during the lulls (20mph wind instead of 35) and that was another reason I stuck with the jibes.

There were some waves, but Harris had much better timing than I today - every time I looked back he was on a breaking wave.  I had some that were standing up, but I only caught one breaker.  I don't get much loitering time with the HPS700 (it wants to keep moving) - I can float/stall most of the other front foils I use at Firsts - ART999, Kujiras, Go Foils - I wanted to try it out and I did.


This is where I had the mast - actually the same spot as the Eagle 1090... hmmm.  Maybe for tomorrow's session I'll bolt on the HPS700 again (I'm sanding the 380 stabilizer first to test if I got rid of the singing) and adjust it a hair back... 

The front foil size is not the only factor in determining the mast position - fuselage geometry and targeting the board/rider center of gravity are perhaps equally weighted factors.  If you look at my feet, they are really close together and far forward.  That means I was having to exert more force further forward to balance out the front foil - I think I could push the foil back a hair and get better balanced (which would see my feet further apart and a bit more aft).  Every foil is different, but I want to try some different positions before I lock anything in.


Just epic conditions today - no other way to describe it.


Massive gusts!!!

I'll play around with the foil position tomorrow - and I'll head closer to the taxiway (to get to flatter water) - I know I can go faster than 21.5 mph.


And after the run with the HPS, I'll try and get a back to back with the ART999 to see if I can get the reduced camber foil to go faster!!!

CRAZY NUTZ!!!!

W:10/F:7/S:11

No comments: