Saturday, February 4, 2023

Wing Foiling Session - 2/4/2023

It was stormy this morning.  And when the rains subsided, the wind had gone.  It wasn't until about 3pm that the wind returned.

I rigged up the standard WPB setup - WWFB/85cm PC mast/Kujira 1210 & 178/RS 6.1

A big Monk Seal was chilling on the beach (so we had to walk around him).


Right after I paddled out, the wind picked up a notch - I would have been comfortable with the RS 5.1 for about 75% of the session.  But because the not so easy launch and recovery (through the shorebreak), I figured I'd just suck it up being slightly overpowered.

The only negative about the RS wings (at least the big ones are like this) is the wing pushed downward anytime the wind is stronger than what the wing should be used for.  This was a factor today while I was lining up to ride waves and trying to luff the wing.  In order to avoid tripping up on the wing pushing downward and lose it, I just went ahead and held the wing with two hands to keep it properly filled.


Roland, Kalani and I started out at 3, and we largely finished up around 4:30.  The wind was pretty solid for nearly the entire session.  I didn't try any tacks today (you can see all the open loops at the end of the runs.  There were some really fun waves on the outside!



This was another one of those sessions where I was up on foil way more than I was down - always a good sign that stoke was generated for net positive production.


Supposed to be more wind headed our way....

W:7/F:7/S:11

No comments: