Sunday, February 5, 2023

Wing Foiling Session - 2/5/2023

The crew planned to go winging today at Hickam.  Got a late start (Kalani's SUV battery died while he was getting manapua - I took him to get a new battery; and then Roland decided to go with the rest of us to Hickam) - but that only helped as the wind got stronger as the day went on.

Today was a testing and training day.  I can't recall having used the F One Eagle 1090 on this board before - so that was test and evaluation No.1.  After the third session (and having placed where I thought it should go, coming in and pushing it forward, and then finally nudging it back - but still forward of the initial point), I had the position dialed to have equal pressure on both feet and marked it.

I also tried to install a foot hook/half strap onto the spot where the rear footstrap went.  I wanted to see if this is a suitable substitute for a rear strap.  I think the answer would be yes - if I had a point to which I could screw it in - the existing inserts are too far inboard.  This is something I'll include on the next board.

And lastly, I swapped the DW210 rear stabilizer for the KD Maui 15" Marlin.  This stabilizer moves through the water with minimal drag.  I left the shims for this stabilizer at home so I did not get it dialed in, but I did take it out for a spin and it definitely has tremendous potential.

As far as training, I practiced both tacks - heel-toe and toe-heel.  The heel-toe was the first turn I learned to perform proficiently.  My success rate with it has varied, but I have learned to more glide a front foil has (and the more power I go into the transition with) the easier it is to make the tack.  The toe-heel tack has been my worst transition - but today while using the Eagle 1090 and the 15" Marlin - I was making pretty much every tack!!!

These pictures are one of the heel to toe tacks.



And this is one of the toe to heel tacks -



So here are the runs - this first session was 6.72 miles.  1090/210 - well powered on the 4.7 SW2.




This next run I swapped out the 210 for the 15" rear stabilizer and got in another 7.02 miles.  This is the run where I was getting tons of tacks in.


Funny thing - I didn't go as fast on this run as I did on the other two runs.


This was my last run - got in 7.36 miles.  I took off the foot hook and put the DW210 back on so I could go out to Firsts with equipment I was fully comfortable with.  Here you can easily see the difference between a tack (sharp point) and a jibe (crossed over loop).


And I zoomed in to the Firsts area so you can see the tracks I laid.


And the blue line about corresponds to the down slot below.


Great wind today!!!

Full house today - two guys I didn't know plus Arvin, Bill, Jim, Matt, Jesse, Ryan, Ken, Tim, Kalani, Roland and Harris.

I got four sets of gear into the truck today - 


W:8/F:7/S:11

No comments: