Friday, February 24, 2023

Wing Foiling Session - 2/24/2023

I hit Hickam after work.  The wind was good - I pumped up the Reedin SW2 4.7.  For the board/foil I had brought No.25 and the Eagle 1090 - but I also brought No.26 and the Kujira 1210.  From the picture you can see what I setup.


I've been using the 75cm mast so I don't have to manage getting more mast out of the water while I'm learning how to get up using this sinker.

I purposely forced myself to start more than I needed to so I can figure out the best way to position the board/wing to minimize the energy I use to keep position and get up.  Nose aimed slightly downwind, front foot in the footstrap (which needs to be slightly loose so my foot can flex) and back leg shin down and foot on the rail (or even hanging off).  Some runs I'd stay in this position and manage the wing overhead to develop muscle memory.

Getting up was easy as long as a gust was blowing through.  I need to put a few more strips of deck pad in between the front pads and between the front and back pads.


I didn't head out to Firsts today - I didn't want to risk getting stuck out there.  Insteead I mowed the lawn on the inside, but focused on seeing what was different with this setup.  Once up, nothing was different at all.  I even got in some dry heel to toe tacks on the outside, and a toe to heel tack.


If I takes this out again tomorrow, I'm going to place the rear strap and try jumping this rig.


The anemometer was still messed up - but I was up when the gusts hit, and was riding until I forced myself to drop and start again (this is the only way to make starting a sinker easier).


I did pay some dues today... the GoPro 9 is gone and I lost yet another wingscrew...  hopefully I'm paid up for a while.

W:18/F:12/S:12

No comments: