Thursday, April 6, 2023

Garage Works - 4/6/2023

I have been fretting over this issue for a while now.  Cutting in the infrastructure to support the finboxes that will hold the hydrofoil in place and getting it wrong is the fastest way to ruin a board making project.

I've measured and looked, then adjusted and looked, and repeated over and over.  I've simulated paddling this board and popping up to figure out where my back foot will land and then readjusted the track position based on that.  But no matter what I did, I always felt I was either compromising on potential adjustability or adding too much weight.

Well - today I resolved my dilemma -


Instead of trying to use the 8" boxes as the augment element, I just doubled up the 8" boxes and now have a 16" track!

This is an optimized solution between the weight of a longer track and the limited adjustability of a single 10.75" box.

I trimmed the polyurethane blocks also and marked the area to be removed by the router.

I'll try and get the slots routed out tomorrow.  If I get that done, I'll also get the liners laid out.  My goal for Saturday will be to epoxy in the blocks.  Sunday I'll fair out the expanded epoxy, mark the tracks and get those slots routed.

At this point I'll take a break, and take a second look at the overall shape - this is where I'll adjust anything that nags me (usually the nose, sometimes the tail, and almost always some part of the rail).

No comments: