Thursday, April 13, 2023

Garage Works - 4/13/2023

I passed up a surfing session because I wanted to get more headway on the two boards on the rack.


I started by cleaning up the expanded epoxy from around the polyurethane blocks.  I used the Bosch planer, but then switched to the Makita.  I had to use the microplane after to clean up, and went ahead and resanded.


I ended up with a shallower back side on No.31 - I'll level it by using more carbon fiber back there to reinforce the tracks - problem solved.

Then I went ahead and cut the tracks out for both boards.


Measure twice - cut once.  For No.30 - this was the first time I spliced two boxes together - so far so good on this.


I'll get the boxes epoxied in tomorrow, and likely will add the carbon patch around the boxes, another to cover the area where my feet will likely be - and if I'm going that far, I might as well get the bottom deck cover sheet on as well.

I'm going to laminate these the conventional way, since I'm not using innegra as a top layer on either of these boards (carbon all the way).


You can barely see the shallower area where the tracks are - but again, that will accommodate the carbon reinforcement patches.


This board has lost a lot of the original volume it had as a result of the extra sanding I've been doing.  That was kind of one of the design criteria for this one - longer length, but lower volume to see if there is a difference in paddling power, wave catching ability, swing weight, and ease of use.


It's been a while since I've done an all carbon fiber board... I think this will go faster than the past several boards (no innegra should equal faster laminating and sanding).

No comments: