Saturday, September 14, 2024

Wing Foiling Session - 9/14/2024

Today's session was at Hickam to test out the characteristics of the AFS HA Ultra 750.

There was wind, but it was up and down.

Miles was already out when I pulled up.  Matt and Mark (lifeguard) were chatting on the overlook.


I had dinged No.34 yesterday trying to get it up on the wash rack - so I used No.36

And I pumped up the Nova Pro 5.0 again


This was the second time I used the HA Ultra 750 - but today was enough time to get a really good feel for this foil.  At an AR of 14, what I would have guessed was this foil would need high speed to take off, and that it would have a super high stall speed.  I would also guess that the turning would be stiff and if kept at high speed, this foil would glide forever.

What I found consistently was as long as my wing was powered up, the foil would takeoff pretty easily - this was the biggest surprise.

This foil also could get through the lulls because it had a low stall speed (and it didn't drop out like the Armstrong foils consistently did), as well as the ease of how it pumped.

The turning was closer to what I thought - stiffer than most of the foils I currently ride, but I could still turn it without too much difficulty.  And the glide was ridiculous - this really is a downwinding foil.


At the start, I didn't want to drop off foil (and get on the struggle bus to get back up) so I jibed.  The wind was also up and down so timing was pretty important.

When the wind picked up, I headed downwind straight out to Firsts.

I surfed the small waves that were out there and got to become familiar with the turning, takeoffs, glide and pump.  I am really impressed by this foil (but I don't downwind - so despite how sexy this thing is, I do not think I'll be adding this to my hanger).


Looks like I was out when the wind was at its best -


Honestly, this is where I was disappointed with the performance of this foil - I would have thought it would have easily gone over 25mph.

Also, it was singing loudly above 20mph (pretty high pitch too).  When I get to borrow this foil again, I'll tune it so it runs silent.


Good run today!

W:119/PW:2/FD:66/F:4/S:18

No comments: