Saturday, November 5, 2022

Wing Foiling Session - 11/5/2022

The weather reports were calling for a return of the winds - but I didn't necessarily trust the forecasts.  I helped La with a yard sale this morning - for the most part the air was moving, but it was up and down.  After the yard sale was over and I made a donation run, I packed up and headed over to Hickam (primarily because I didn't want to fight the WPB weekend crowd).

I got to Hickam and the wind was on the light side, with periodic spikes - but zero white water.  Harris and I pumped up the big wings - but the North Nova Light Wind stuck out like a sore thumb - IT WAS GINORMUS!!!!


Here it is right next to Harris' F One CWC 7.0 -the sizing standard is by no means standard in this industry, but this just doesn't look right.  The F One looks like a 6.0 compared to the North.


Everyone was saying there was too much wind for this wing (and even Harris' 7.0) - but most if not all of them had not windsurfed or kite surfed before, so they don't know how to deal with gusty conditions, and they really aren't using the wing like windsurfers use their sails (as an additional points of leverage for making harder turns) - so I ignored the peanut gallery.

This wing is great except for the points where it points too high into the wind - at which point it luffs and starts to push down (just like the RS).  So managing the luffing point is not a deal breaker.

This wing is not really meant to be pumped - rather you let it build up pressure and then you pump the foil (if you even need to).

The wind was really up and down - down being 10 to 15, and spiking in the gusts to the upper 20s.  I made a warm up run and got in both tacks and jibes.  The wing comes around in the turns, but I had to be cognizance with the wrist leash.

Then I headed out to Firsts.  The only complaint I have is the luffing when pinching.  Other than that, the wing is super stable when in depowered tow (I rode a larger wave and it was awesome to carve up the face and just have the wing park).  I also got in a tack right on to a wave - this wing is almost on par with the Reedin SW2 4.7 (just bigger - way bigger).  The wind did pick up - I think I would have been good with the RS 5.1 - but I just spilled the excess wind from the wing and I was fine.

I headed back in after a few waves and at the same time, the wind started to back down.  It was the opportunity to test this wing in the conditions I have bought it for. 


By the time I had worked my way up to the upper part of the inner bay, the wind had dropped significantly.  Arvin and Ken were having a hard time staying up on foil - the 8.0 just sailed through. 


This wing enabled me to stay up on foil pretty much the whole session (save a few crashes in the name of testing).


From the limited internet reviews, I didn't think this wing would have a large range.  I would not want to use it in 15 to 20+, even though sometimes the gusts would go there.  It's nice to know that it can handle it if needed.

I'll need to get a harness line and a long enough leash (so I could use the leash hooked up to my harness) - but other than that, this wing is ready to rock to light wind days ahead! 

W:106/F:93/S:36

No comments: