Monday, November 21, 2022

Wing Foiling Session - 11/21/2022

Midday winging session at Hickam.  Jim was the only one out when I pulled up.  Lots of texture on the water - meant the wind was blowing steady up past 20mph.  Forecast called for more - but I was limited on time so I setup equipment to make sure I could make it back at will.


I ended up using the Reedin SW2 4.7 (rigging for the steady wind, not the gusts), the WWFB, and the F One Eagle 890/Foilparts.com Short F One fuselage/15" KD Maui Rear Stabilizer.


Small front gets set far forward in the mast tracks.  This was a good spot for this front foil.


Today was about testing the 890 - with all this wind, it did everything I thought it should.  It got up pretty quickly (I had plenty of power in the wing), it was fast (but I think I can go faster with a smaller stabilizer), and I was able jibe and tack both ways (although it obviously didn't have the glide/carry that bigger foils have).


I knew the 15" rear stabilizer was bigger than what I needed, but it was all I had in the truck that would bottom mount.  Part of today's run was to also see whether the DW210 was the culprit (in generating all the noise I experienced when I used the Eagle 1090).

This setup today was way quieter than the 1090/210/XXS setup I ran last time - the culprit has been identified (I'll sand the trailing edge of the DW210 to get it to quiet down).  There was still some singing going on, but it was much quieter.  I'm not sure the 15" rear stabilizer was meant to go as fast - that'll be another test.


I only had an hour - but some winging in nuking winds has been pretty rare.  I'll take what I can get!


I love it when the wind is nuking!!!!

W:115/F:94/S:38

No comments: