Sunday, November 6, 2022

Wing Foiling Session - 11/6/2022

La and Noe had a sailing foundation event today.  I dropped La off in Kaneohe, then picked up Kalani so we could wing over at Hickam.

The wind signs (trees, flags, clouds along the route to get to the beach) were all up and down, and it was no different pulling up to the parking lot.  I did not bring the North 8.0 because the forecast called for decent winds, but there were times today that I could have used it.  I pumped up the RS 6.1 and used the same board/foil setup as yesterday. 


My watch says I got in 28 miles today.  You can see the blue lines embedded under the green and yellow lines - so it was up and down.

I made two trips out to Firsts.  The first trip I used the channel going out.  The wind was getting lighter the further I went out - but I saw a gust beyond the channel marker and pumped out to it.  I rode three waves (which were really good) then headed back to the inside (as the winds looked questionable).  I went in across the reef to the left of the submerged metal structure.

On the inside I was working on my transitions (as usual).  I'm trying to make my turns more fluid (less choppy) and with less tangles (my arm stuck in the harness line or wrapped around the wing leash).

The wind started to fill in again so I made another run out to Firsts.  The waves had gotten smaller, but the wind was more consistent.  This is probably the last of the south swells for the year.  It's been a great run of surf this year!!!


You can see the ups and downs in the wind graph below.


All that said, for the most part I was able to stay up on foil for most of the session.  There were times where I could have been powered nicely on the lulls with the 8.0, and others where I could have used the 5.1 (or even the 4.7) - but these were the exception and not the norm for today.


I may be at WPB for the next several days - stronger winds, higher tides and not having to contend with the late afternoon traffic.

W:107/F:93/S:36

No comments: