Saturday, January 16, 2021

New Wingboard Rough Shaping Done

After the dawn patrol this morning, La and I ran a bunch of errands - Lowe's to get wood, Office Depot, Seafood City, and the Post Office.  Then I got a text from someone interested in buying my Duotone Echo wing.  We went home and grabbed lunch, then headed out to show the wing.  I ended up selling it - then went to cut the wood, made a pass at the Navy Exchange, then headed home again.  At this point I started shaping.  I started with the planer and vacuum - took down the rails from the bottom - they were too boxy as is.  After that, I used the rough surform in the flats and the dragon skin on the rails to blend in the rails and decks.  I went back to the nose to thin it from the bottom side.


After that, I looked for high spots and took them down with the microplane surform.  I used the surfboard fin ruler to make sure the outline was symmetric.  And then I got through the 120 screen sanding.




Tomorrow I should be able to get through all the screen sandings and should be able to route out the bottom deck slots for the HD foam block, and if I'm ambitious enough, even epoxy that in.  Forward progress feels good - this was a big jump.

No comments: