Sunday, January 17, 2021

Twofer Sunday

To start - Marlon and I did a dawn patrol.  The waves were a hair smaller than yesterday, but still super fun.  We were paddling out while you could just barely see and the crowd was manageable.  When the sun did rise, there was a haze in the air so everything had this muted lighting - don't get that all that often around these parts (takes a large storm passing to the north).


I brought the Armstrong HS1550/300 (switched out the HS1250/232 from yesterday).  Totally better suited to waves today.  I got several with cranking turns back to back.  The more I think about it, this really is the perfect setup for me on waves less the chest high (above that, I'm thinking CF1200 right now).


Towards the end of the session, the wind picked up really strong from the west (front moving through).  Kalani immediately went in to set up his winging gear.  I stayed out to see if the wind was going to hold - and caught a ride in to go home and grab my winging equipment.  I brought the HS1850/300 and blew up the Ensis 5.2m.  By the time I got to the water's edge, the wind was still up but it was also dropping off.  I paddled through the break (I guess I didn't look cool because a surfer asked if I needed some help... I'll help him -).  I got beyond the breaking waves popped the wing up and away I went (thanks to the HS1850).  I got three runs in before the wind just dropped off completely.  I had to paddle in, and with the dropping tide I had to flip the board over (still a little leery from the last session where I poked the rear stabilizer through the wing).  Three runs where I foil surfed three waves on my strong side (wind was completely backwards from the normal direction) was worth it.  If I knew the wind was going to come up like that, I would have brought all the gear this morning.  Tomorrow is still forecasted to have strong winds.




9:30 was when I paddled in to go grab my winging gear.  11:00 was when I was paddling in.  It's fun when you are out on the water and you can see conditions change - a big northwest swell arriving, riding a passing front, watching the sun rise or set - so awesome!

No comments: