Sunday, January 3, 2021

Next Set of Foil Board Templates

Marlon's birthday is coming up and he asked for another blank and the materials to build another longboard.  I've got most of the fabric already - he's just got to come up with a template so we can select a blank.  And since he is going to be shaping, I might as well do the same.  I was also inspired by the epic wing foiling sessions this weekend to make a board with foot straps designed into it, one that has less area up front to avoid touchdowns, and one with the foil tracks further forward. 


I got three board templates defined - a 5'4"x26" wing foil board, another at 5'0"x26", and a prone foil board at 4'9"x20.5.


Yes I do this the old fashioned way - I believe the more you do with your own hands, the better you will understand the final product.  I could send the file to a shop with a CNC router, but why?  Here is the first template pumped out.


All three taped together and cut out.  I'm only going to make one of the wing foiling boards - need to pick one (leaning towards the 5'0" right now since I'm already on a 5'1" - this template trims all the foam I had on my current foil board up front for stability, thickens the foil throughout (to keep the floatation while setting up for a start), and will reduce the swing weight from the front.

No comments: