Friday, July 9, 2021

Evening Session - 7/9/2021

Picture of "Before"


Picture of "After"



Marlon and I did an evening session on foils.  I set him up with the next smaller front foil (Kai I think) - since last time while using the Iwa he said he was having a hard time keeping the nose down.  

I changed out the HS1250 for the HS1532CS and took the front base shims off.

The waves had come down (better for learning), the tide was really high again (better for learning), and the wind was less than winging strength but above nuisance level.  Which is what has been making foiling difficult lately.  The wind is doing something to the breaking waves - to where as they peak and crumble, they will also drag downwards - and suck stuff like foils down.  I have been complaining of this the past couple of days, but with Marlon jumping on foil today, it proved troublesome.

I stuck close to Marlon and coached him into some waves - he got up on one and rode it a considerable distance.  Less bucking today with the Kai foil on.  He caught a few more and I rode several and we got out of synch where I was paddling back from a ride, and I saw him take a wave - the whitewater caught him and he lost his balance.  Instead of falling away from the foil, he taco'd and fell right between the board and the foil.  He came up and was checking his teeth.  I got close to him and he seemed already  -just checking things overs.  I told him there were scratches on his chin and he was bleeding, so he should paddle in.


Back at the truck, we checked the board over and he put his chin through the bottom deck.  You win some - you lose some.  I'm just glad that 1. He is fine; 2. He wants to get back out there.

As a proud Gen X'er I have tons of scars and memories of cutting my head open (kiteboard), splitting my big toe open (putting my foot through a board coming down off a kite jump), putting my thigh into a coral head (kiting), cutting my shoulder open (foiling), and dinging more boards than I can remember with all my limbs.  That's part of enjoying the ride.  As a father, I don't want to see my kids get hurt - but I know these things happen - booms hitting heads, foils cutting skin, dinging boards, falling while riding, wipeouts, and more.  


I got several fun rides - nothing out of the ordinary - but still fun and Marlon had a blast too - dawn patrol on the foil tomorrow (but Marlon will be on the 5'6" since I have to repair the 5'2").

No comments: