Wednesday, July 14, 2021

Wing Foiling Session - 7/14/2021

I brought suitable wing foiling gear today - and as I was getting ready to leave work, the wind was actually dying.  I was going to do a grocery run then head home to swap out my winging board for the prone - but sitting the parking lot, the wind kicked up nicely.  I headed to Hickam and got a few things done.  First was testing my new pump.  It certainly saved me from manually pumping so it is a winner.  I think the correct setting is going to be 6.5psi (or just below 7).  I'm going to see how many fills I can get out of a single charge.


The second test was whether the second +1 rear stabilizer shim I used was driving the nose down (and shifting the sweet spot backwards from where the front footstraps were set).  The short answer was 'yes' - foiling without the second shim brought everything back to where it was.

While I was driving up, the conditions looked really good.  By the time I was launching, it still looked ok, but it had come down.  I did some warm up laps then headed out.  The wind was up and down outside, and even started to swing hard north.  It got pretty bad and I decided to try and head in to avoid getting stranded.  With the directional shift, I had to ride through Seconds to get upwind.  Well - thats when things got ugly.  The wind dropped and the spot I was stranded in was shallow.  I ended up hitting the bottom twice - once with the rear stabilizer, and a second time with the front foil.  I absolutely hate hitting bottom - it is the one thing I cannot stand.  The wind finally picked back up and I worked my way back without any more drama.





I was out on the water from just after 3pm to nearly 5pm.  I actually got back in on that double peak on the graph around 5pm.  The wind actually closely followed the iwindsurf.com forecast.  You can see the holes in the wind and how long I was down dealing with the shallow spots at inside Seconds.


On a good note, I took the GoPro out and not only didn't lose it, but I got some decent photos.  The following sequence is me going through a jibe - from weak side (goofy) switching to regular (my strong side).








Harris was the only other person to go out.  I saw some texts where Roland was trying to shoot video of Kalani - both at WPB.

Tomorrow should be way better - we'll see!














No comments: